Saturday, February 28, 2009

Purdah...

I dont know why this topic is such a new deal to so many people I know. So many people with so many varied thoughts about the age-old tradition of body-coverage. In no way did I intend to hurt emotions when, as a child, I referred to them as walking ovens. I said this because as a child I was once made to wear a long black dress because I was Morticia Adams and I hated how hot it felt in that colour. Its a different matter that black is now beautiful to me. But after realising that these women had to follow a tradition that meant for them to stay covered in every manner. Im not a pro on Purdah but I learnt a few things from some friends. I even modelled for a UK based designer for Abayas and Hijabs.



The abaya is an overgarment worn by some women in parts of the Islamic world. It is the traditional form of hijab, or Islamic dress, for many countries of the Arabian peninsula such as the United Arab Emirates, where it is the national dress. Traditional abayas are black, and may be either a large square of fabric draped from the shoulders or head, or a long caftan. The abaya covers the whole body except the face, feet, and hands. It can be worn with the niqab, a face veil covering all but the eyes. Some women choose to wear long black gloves, so their hands are covered as well.
Women who really mean it, choose to wear it themselves. They follow it strictly. There was something I found out a year back, which made me realize why they need to wear them.

Most of these women are so beautiful. They have such amazing skin. They have perfectly curved lashes and are fair with the perfect set of eyes. The way they put kohl in their eyes, its mesmerizing. I speak of the few arab women I have seen in washrooms at the big malls when they take off their hijabs. I know im basing this on just a few women I have seen. I dont care what you think. I am floored!!!



And this is me in an outfit.... looking like a misfit! I miss out on the fair skin and since i have never worn it before, I was uncomfortably wearing it.


I would like anyone to tell me if im politically incorrect here.... Thanks..

No comments: